Monday, September 27, 2010

Thoughts on job hunting...

I am very likely going to move.

Oregon, the state where I happen to live, is a beautiful, vibrant, and pleasant place. (It also rains for weeks at a time too, which I love) However, Oregon has a dearth of teaching positions, not only for new teachers, but even experienced ones. The inability of the state to figure out funding, coupled with a sharp decrease in retirements doesn't bode well for my staying in this state. In all likelihood, when I'm hired for a teaching position, it will be outside of Oregon.

Being a native, it might seem that I'd be depressed with the prospect. Rather, this is an exciting proposition. Even though I love my native land, I am quite interested in creating new experiences outside of the Pacific Northwest. I've traveled more this year than I have in probably the previous five years combined. I flew to Washington D.C. where I was able to get an idea of what that part of the country is like, as well as driving to central Kansas to visit my extended family. Being able to see other parts of the west and reacquaint myself with the people and different outlooks on life was fun.

Teaching is a vocation, not just a job. It is my belief that wherever I end up, I will put all of my effort into it, be it a rural, suburban or urban setting. At this point, I have no preference. When I find the right position, I can then concentrate on working for the best interests of the students, no matter where they live, my new home.

Every child deserves a good teacher, and it's my desire to be that teacher. Wherever that may be.

-Darin-

No comments:

Post a Comment