Friday, August 7, 2009

Tech and Social Justice

I feel that using tech in classroom is a good idea no matter what. If you have access to it in the classroom, at least there's a little bit of access. Anything that you can get is better than what they may or may not be getting at home. It's cumulative. If access doesn't exist outside of the classroom, then it's necessary for people to work to make it not an issue.

So many of the questions in these web reflections are posited as either/or questions. For example, "Will you be doing a disservice to all of your students if you do not use technology because of access issues for a few?" Well, of course I would, but I won't keep from using technology because a few students don't have access. What I would do is to do my best to provide those students access to technology. I have some ideas. For example, our instructor for character in the curriculum has procured several video cameras and audio recorders for his class by writing grants for that technology. I could see how that would work well in for a lot of tech, like netbooks, which are relatively inexpensive.

Another idea that I borrow from my wife (who is from Taiwan) is to enlist the wealthier members of the parent population. When she was going to school, her father was routinely tapped to donate funds for school functions, supplies and other "non-essential" materials. He didn't see it as a burden, but as part of the responsibility of being wealthy. It is also a measure of pride that he could take. I don't think that's being encouraged in the way that it could be here in much of the US, and it needs to be fostered and recognized.

Educating parents and the community about what is and isn't able to be in the classroom is also key in getting donations. I think that parents and others in the community believe that the money that is spent in schools is either wasted or indulgent. When we educate these people we can get what I call "targeted donations," donations that are based on filling a need that isn't filled by basic funding. It's a part of educating not only the students, but the community at large and having them take a stake in their students' success.

No comments:

Post a Comment