Sunday, July 26, 2009

Cyberbullying? What next, cyber-dodgeball?

From what I’ve gathered, cyberbullying is in many ways analogous to traditional forms of bullying. In the old days, (pre-Internet) bullying took several forms. There was the physical bullying, which qualifies as physical abuse. It was often times paired with verbal or emotional abuse. Girls were generally not beat up, but instead intimidated by peers with the most incredibly harsh emotionally abusive comments that I can imagine. But then something happened after I left school. Cyberbullying happened.

Cyberbullying is the same as traditional forms of non-physical bullying, except that it takes place on the Internet. There is no distinction on the Internet between school and non-school. It exists in both places, and therefore provides no escape for the person who is on the receiving end. Cyber bullies more and more use the anonymity of the Internet to get away with behavior that could more easily be policed in a traditional school setting. The bully can use the tools of blogging, anonymous text messaging, anonymous e-mail

Schools are in the middle when it comes to cyberbullying. What happens off campus in the “real world” so long as it doesn’t influence the teaching environment, it’s basically off limits for teachers and administrators. But the thing is, I have trouble believing that there would not be a “real life” component to cyberbullying. That could be easily punishable. Also, as mandatory reporters, if you know of a student who is being threatened or being abused, you are obliged to report. No exceptions. But when it comes to stepping in when things happen off campus? It’s a slippery slope that should not be stepped onto unless there’s proof, and there’s a real threat of danger for the child.

As to how I would know whether a student is being cyberbullied? So much of it is dependent on a student’s frame of mind and demeanor. I remember seeing students who had been bullied and how they reacted near their tormentor. It’s not inconceivable that students would have a similar reaction when they get an anonymous e-mail or text on their smart cellular phone. Perhaps I would take that student aside after class and ask them if something was wrong. But it’s likely that the student would say something to the effect of “nothing.” I would try to stress that if they ever needed any advice or help, I would be there as a person that they could count on.

My plan for dealing with cyberbullying will be both reactive and proactive. While I’m not big on singling out students, I am not opposed to preemptive shaming of that behavior. I have no trouble calling it what it is, a cowardly act. If you have trouble with someone, say it to his or her face. Cyberbullying is also a means for people who feel powerless to feel powerful. This will not fly in the real world. The kind of stunts that cyberbullies pull would be considered harassment in the real world, and is punishable under the law. And if I find out about it, I may not have the ability to punish them, but I can make them feel shame for their actions. If I did catch a cyberbully, I would deal with them harshly. I think that “big brother,” their parents, or the threat of it going into their permanent record might be a deterrent. Especially if they are generating the harassing material on campus, and I could really nail them to the wall, make an example of them. But a problem with the threat of exposure is that it may serve to drive the anonymous deeper underground. Kids are sneaky. Who knows.

However, I would address it in front of the class and then I would let it simmer. It is a subject that could easily be rolled into a Social Studies or Art unit before it crops up as an experience that year for the students. (Unless it’s already happening the first week of school.) In short, I think that this is a subject that needs to pondered about and worked with in partnership with students.

No comments:

Post a Comment